Apply for the Moran Law, Overcoming Adversity Scholarship
Competition Instructions, Terms, and Conditions
Please read the following before submitting your application.
The Moran Law, Overcoming Adversity Scholarship is a $1,000 scholarship for a college or high school student in Michigan who is enrolled at a community college, trade school, or university in 2016. It is awarded through a competition sponsored by Moran Law (“Sponsor”) for the purpose of helping to give the possibility of a college education to someone who might not otherwise have the opportunity (the “Competition”).
These Terms & Conditions explain how the competition works. Please read the Terms carefully below so that you understand all the requirements and conditions for participating.
Entry Period: The competition ends April 15th, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Eligibility. The Competition is open to any high school or college student who is a legal resident of the United States residing in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia and who is enrolled in enrolled at a community college, trade school, or university in 2016.
No minimum GPA is required.
Entries will not be returned.
Content of Entries.
Your essay should be 500–1,000 words in length, and should tell us of a time in your life when you were faced with adversity and overcame it. How did this push you to work harder academically? How has it inspired you in your career path?
Additional Requirements for Essay.
The essay must be your original work and not previously published. Submissions that, in the sole discretion of Moran Law, include any material that is defamatory, obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, disparaging of any racial, ethnic, religious, gender, sexual orientation, or any other minority group, infringing, in violation of any third party rights or any other law, illegible, or late, will be disqualified.
Selection and Notification of Winner.
All qualified submissions will be judged by Moran Law without regard to race, creed, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or any other prohibited basis. The applicant whose submission best meets the following criteria will be selected as the Scholarship Winner:
- Authenticity in the solution you propose
- Creativity in the solution you propose
The Scholarship Winner will be chosen on or about two weeks upon closing of the competition, and will be notified shortly thereafter by email, using the contact information provided in the application.
The Scholarship Winner will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship, payable by check directly to the Qualifying Institution identified in the application as the school where the Scholarship Winner will be enrolled in 2017. If the Scholarship Winner decides to attend a Qualifying Institution other than the one so identified, he or she must notify Moran Law no later than April 30th 2017 so that the award may be sent to the correct entity.
Except where prohibited by law, before the award can be sent to the Qualifying Institution, the Scholarship Winner will be required to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Compliance with Official Rules, a Publicity Release, and a Release of Liability. If any potential Scholarship Winner does not meet these requirements within fourteen (14) days of notification, an alternate Scholarship Winner will be named.
- Any applicant suspected of tampering with or disrupting any aspect of the Competition will be disqualified. All decisions of Moran Law are final. By your participation, you – and, if you are a minor, your parent or guardian – (i) agree to be bound by these Terms & Conditions, (ii) represent and warrant that your entry is original and not previously published, (iii) agree to release, indemnify, and hold harmless Sponsor, and their officers, directors, employees, agents, and representatives, from any and all claims, liabilities, losses, and damages of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from your participation in the Competition or your acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of the Award, and (iv) grant Sponsor a sole, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, sub-licensable, transferable right to use your essay, as well as your name, likeness, voice, biographical information, and statements, for advertising and promotional purposes, in any media now known or hereafter invented, without compensation or notification, except as prohibited by law.
- Limitation of Liability. Sponsor make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, including without limitation implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or noninfringement with respect to the Award. Some jurisdictions may not permit limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages or exclusion of implied warranties. Check your local laws to determine if any of the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. Sponsor is not responsible for late, lost, misdirected, or unintelligible entries, including entries not received because of interrupted or unavailable network servers, failed communications networks or equipment, computer hardware or software, or other errors or malfunctions whether human, mechanical, or electronic. Should Sponsor in their sole discretion, determine that the Competition has been compromised by virus, bugs, hackers, or other causes beyond its control, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the competition and choose the Scholarship Winner in a fair and reasonable manner from among all eligible entries submitted prior to termination.
- Governing Law. All disputes concerning the construction, interpretation, validity, effect, and enforceability of these Terms & Conditions will be governed by the laws of the State of Michigan without regard to conflicts of laws provisions. You agree that exclusive jurisdiction over any legal action arising out of or in connection with the Competition will be in state or federal courts located in or nearest to Royal Oak, Michigan, and by submitting an application you consent to such jurisdiction and venue.
- Privacy. With the exception of the Winner’s name and Qualifying School, contact information collected by Sponsor solely in connection with the Competition will not be shared with third parties.
- Winner’s List. For the name of the Scholarship Winner, write to Moran Law Office at the address below.
- Sponsor and Administrator. The Sponsor of the Competition is Moran Law., 25600 Woodward Ave., Royal Oak, Michigan, (248) 246-6536.